Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Blog I found Interesting...The Thinking Stick

BLOG---> Advice for Parents in 1:1 Programs
This blog is extremely informative and in a good way.  I found a touching story about a parent facing the dilemma of, "children and technology" on this blog and had to choose this for my post.  The reason this resonated with me is because I have young nieces who are 5 and 9.  They are my everything and we are very close.  I have been with them since they were babies and within the past 3 years they would both rather "face time" chat with me than play a game.  They would rather show me a new game on the i pad then put makeup on dolls or paint each others nails.  I am fascinated with this post because this parent is concerned about her son.  All he wants to do is be on his laptop and at his school they are required to use laptops.  Will kids play with sticks and fight dragons anymore?  Will kids ride bikes and go on adventure hunts anymore? Or will they trade all that in for a new game on the computer?  This idea haunts me and will continue to haunt me until I start seeing children outside playing again.
The response posted by the author of The Thinking Stick was great.  He insisted on this mom remembering that a parent is a parent is a parent.  He reminded her that she makes the rules in her house and with technology should come rules.  Maybe kids will tire of these rules and go roll in the grass again.  A girl can only dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment