Sunday, April 22, 2012

Podcasts

As a dance teacher and classroom teacher I am always looking for new and exciting ways to incorporate movement into my curriculum at school.  Through my chosen podcast I found a very exciting way to incorporate Mathematics and African Dance as a way of educating my students about both Math and cultural diversity.  The podcast titled African Dance,  is a great way of exposing students to cultural dance and Math.  This instructor uses the "clock" as a reference point for her dance moves.  She consistently refers to the quarter points of the clock as placement indicators for students to learn the movement.  I immediately thought that this would be an excellent way to use a podcast in the classroom across contents.  I would begin a math lesson with a review of the clock.  I would continue by explaining to the students that today they will view a podcast which incorporates different numbers on the clock and for them to be able to learn the dance moves they must master the clock.  What an exciting way for students to become motivated about mastering a mathematical concept.
I think that this podcast will be a new and exciting way of making cross-content connections to both exposure to different cultures and time.  What a great way to use a podcast in the classroom.

1 comment: